6.05.2012

The taste of homemade @Saffron


Before I entered the café, the vintage arcade had already grasped my attention. For those who have been to the UK, they must find the decor rather familiar, as the posters and postcards can be found everywhere in flea markets or some little boutique out there. Still, the collection in this shop is not really large compared to mine at home :P. Anyway, I do fancy the decor.


The counter of Saffron was filled with various pastries, cakes and bread. I wish I had a bigger stomach to try them all. After some ruthless screening, I picked my all-time favourite apple tart, which coincidentally was the signature dish of Saffron, and the equally irresistible caramel slice.

The apple tart had a rather “humble” look; it was like the homemade one you see in TV programmes. But I suppose we should judge by its inner beauty instead of appearance. If you are a butter-lover, you will like it. For me, I indulged in every golden-baked and buttery pastry. However, the mashed apple fillings of this tart were a bit too sweet and not generous enough. I also prefer to have some cinnamon favour with a bit apple dices mixed in the fillings.

Caramel slices usually have three layers: chocolate, caramel and shortbread. This one was a bit different as the shortbread layer replaced by a chewy and hard layer which I was not sure what it was. The chocolate and caramel layers were smooth and tasty. Their thinness could not satisfy me, though. Apparently, I have conformed to the British insistence of having as much chocolate and caramel in their caramel slices without considering the obvious side effects of taking too much sugar. It is always joyful to indulge in the delicious yet evil food. Calories concern? We will come to this later... Let me satisfy my appetite first!

CM’s raspberry slice was also rich in butter smell. Raspberry filling was a bit sticky with a note of sour. Its texture was like thick raspberry paste. Saffron’s homepage said it offers homemade jam for sale, but unfortunately I did not see them that day. What a pity!

Coffee was Saffron’s weakest link. The over-extracted espresso was way too bitter and the milk foam was a failure. The bubbles were too large and not enduring. That’s the kind of foam I dislike most.

There were still a lot that I would like to try, but Stanley is a bit far away for me. Saffron’s branches, situated at the Peak and Repulse Bay, are equally inconvenient. :( Next time, perhaps I will reserve the stomach for the appealing salad and pies!

Saffron
Shop 102, 1/F, Stanley Plaza, Cape Road, Stanley
 

Food: wwww
Service:wwwww
Environment: wwwwww

沒有留言:

發佈留言