11.14.2012

Hiding in the world of Coffee @ Rabbithole Coffee and Roaster



Rabbithole has become my recent favourite. Great coffee, nice people, cosy environment, what more can I ask? Whenever I was at the Mid-levels, I could not help dropping by and had a coffee break.

First encounters with cafes are always crucial - just like the first date. Rabbithole certainly left a good impression on me by a splendid cup of flat white. As Gabbi the barrister recommended, I picked Nicaragua, one of my favourite beans for milk coffee. Its nutty taste blended perfectly with the milk and had a nice hint of chocolate finish. The espresso base was by no means overwhelmed by the milk and the froth was decent. During another visit I had a flat white with Sumatra Permata Gayo. The honey sweetness of Gayo bean was perhaps a bit too weak, as it failed to balance the cherry taste.
  
  
Rabbithole also offered good Cappuccino. This time, I picked Guatemala, better than Gayo but hardly able to challenge the position of Nicaragua in my heart. Apart from the single-origin, Rabbithole had its own blend. I tried a blend no.3 latte. My taste buds were embraced with a distinctive sweetness. Acidity came out only when the cup was half finished, but not much there. This blend was sweet and straightforward but perhaps lacked a bit of complexity. After all, I prefer those single-origins.
The milk foam here was generally nice, but that was not its trump card. Ice-drip and espresso were the gems that you should go for at Rabbithole. Ice-drip takes about 6 hours to make; compare it with the glorious Chinese soups. Barista usually picks sweet or fruity beans to make it and a good cup of ice-drip is more like wine than coffee. Rabbithole offered Honduras ice-drip the day I visited. It was a nice pick. Honduras bean is round-bodied and sweet. Using it for ice-drip can highlight its sweetness. I really loved its winery and smooth texture as well as the honey sweetness. I also tried the Honduras hand drip but was not as much impressed.
Espresso is the soul of a cafe. The basics are always difficult to be brought to perfection. Good espresso machine is only a beginning. You need a barrister who had thorough knowledge of stuffs from the characteristics of different beans to the correct extent of extraction. Above all, he/she had to do it right every time. So, lots of knowledge and hard effort behind every cup of coffee.
 
 Before the rich crema disappeared, I finished the espresso even though it was late at night. Its bright and well-balanced taste and its fruitiness all had me conquered. You certainly want one after a day of hectic work.



 
















After trying the ice-drip, hand drip, espresso and milk coffee here, I cannot help but fall in love with Rabbithole. Apart from the decent coffee served here, I love the open kitchen style which allows customers to watch the whole brewing process and the poignant smell of freshly ground coffee that fills the room. Before I can have my own hideout, I bet I will stay inside this rabbithole!

Rabbithole Coffee and Roaster
 2/F, 26 Cochrane Street, Central


Food: wwwwwww
Service:wwwwwww
Environment:  wwwwwwww

沒有留言:

發佈留言